Sunday, January 18, 2015

Mix and match in red

In my first post of the new year I mentioned I wanted to sew more clothes that mix and match. With the first three garments this year I made a good start. First a pencil skirt in a boucle fabric with a lot of colors in it: from off-white to a deep warm red and a lot ot shades in between. A good basic to start with. The fabric I bought as a remnant piece at a market a few years ago.  It’s strange how the weave suggests an off-grain in the photos. It is cut on the grain (taking out a thread at the start of the fabric, cutting along that cut out thread and then making sure the pattern pieces are on the grain before cutting).

DSC_0611 DSC_0612

The second one is a top to go with it, McCall’s 6513 that I made last year when the pattern was recommended to me by one of my sewing friends.

DSC_0633 DSC_0632

And last the Sienna jacket from StyleArc. Too big in the back and I did take in the center seam and re-cut the collar. I MUST learn to use a size or two smaller and do a fba, OR make my own pattern. I quite like it though. It’s made from a thicker wool jersey (the pattern calls for a woven fabric). I thought it might work with this fabric and it does, making it dressier than a cardigan but just as comfortable and warm. This pattern will be used again after I altered the back.

 

DSC_0618 DSC_0621 

I have a lovely jacquard weave fabric for a skirt in the same color as the McCall’s shirt. That’s one of the next projects. After the dress that is. Thank you all for your ‘votes’ on this. The dress is cut and I’m off to work on it this afternoon.

 DSC_0647 DSC_0623

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful coordinates! That boucle skirt is clearly the linchpin of the lot, and what a stunning piece. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done!!! That skirt and jacket are stunning together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boucle' skirt is a great starting point for mixing and matching. I like the cardi as well. Happy new year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a true red and your pieces go together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pieces. And they all go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely coordinates. Red is so pretty on you. You picked a great color to work around for your sewing with a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them! Really lovely. And I especially love the little red boots that go with it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All really lovely pieces. Beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really elegant pieces that work well together. Particularly like the Stylearc jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderfull skirt and the jacket matches perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete